Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Sep 2007 21:06:41 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Fry, Jonathan B." <jfry@SPSS.COM>
Subject:      Re: comments within commands .
Comments: To: Catherine Kubitschek <Catherine.A.Kubitschek.2@nd.edu>

I suspect that something inside is replacing the comment by a blank, leaving the line entirely blank. A blank line is a command separator.

Jonathan Fry SPSS Inc.

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Catherine Kubitschek Sent: Monday, September 24, 2007 8:42 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: comments within commands .

I'm trying to comment out part of a command in situ but I'm not having much luck getting it to run.

match files file=Acad_013 /in=in013 /table=Acad_Tce /in=inTce /* /table=Acad_2006 /in=in2006 */ /by Id .

The error message I'm getting indicates that the comment is ending the match files command.

I think I'm reading the Command Syntax Reference correctly but I must be missing something.

"Use /* and */ to set off a comment within a command. The comment can be placed wherever a blank is valid (except within strings) and should be preceded by a blank." - SPSS 14.0 Command Syntax Reference, p.257

Thanks in advance for any help.

Catherine Kubitschek (Kubitschek.2@nd.edu) Sr. Programmer/Analyst 574/631-3550 Institutional Research 210 Flanner Hall University of Notre Dame Notre Dame, IN 46556-5611