Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 1)Back to main CONCH-L pageJoin or leave CONCH-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Sep 2007 22:44:49 +1200
Sender:       Conchologists List <CONCH-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: sinistral whelk nomenclature

>I recently received as a gift a dead large sinistral whelk. >Incontrast to my other large one, this one has the double curve, as >shown on the aforementioned site (that of the Jacksonville club). >Is this the distinguishing feature of perversum? > >P.S. I finally bought a digital camera so will soon be able to >photograph shells that I need help with i.d.

The paper defines all living sinistral Busycon as one species, B. perversum. Though some still dare to defy me in this, I consider that B. perversum must also include the "extinct species" B. contrarium and dextral Pliocene-Pleistocene B. rapum (Heilprin 1887), which two differ only in chirality (coiling direction). Once the living dextral forms are examined I am confident that they too will fall under synonymy of B. perversum (they had BETTER). Use subspecies-level taxa at your peril.

"B" planulatum (Dall 1890), which also occurs in the Florida Plio-Pleistocene, I think is not a Busycon, and despite Olsson & Harbison 1953 it does develop a clearly-defined sutural channel just as does B. pyrum, but belongs in Busycotypus/Fulguropsis (which genera I hope someone is going to look hard at and soon, because I'm pretty sure the latter is a synonym of the former). It also shows a well-defined columellar plait and groove, which is not generally evident in Busycon.

"Classically" what was once thought to be B. perversum is the heavy low-spired conical Campeche Bay form with large well-spaced peripheral spines and a swollen spiral ridge around the base of the broad canal; the dextral equivalent of this morph is what has been known as B. eliceans or "Kiener's Whelk" from the Carolinas. These shells differ from the other extreme endmorph, which has a much narrower canal lacking the fold, and often a taller spire and many small close-spaced peripheral spines.... but wait, all of these characters overlap and just about any combination of characters can be found with a large-enough collection.

Don't spend ALL of your time playing with the camera... it's all too easy to do so!

Or ELSE! -- Andrew Grebneff Dunedin New Zealand Fossil preparator <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut

: > P

---------------------------------------------------------------------- CONCH-L@listserv.uga.edu - a forum for informal discussions on molluscs To leave this list, click on the following web link: http://listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=conch-l&A=1 Type your email address and name in the appropriate box and click leave the list. ----------------------------------------------------------------------