Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 1)Back to main CONCH-L pageJoin or leave CONCH-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Sep 2007 15:11:59 -0500
Sender:       Conchologists List <CONCH-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         David Campbell <pleuronaia@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: sinistral whelk nomenclature: Neptunes

> Molecular work CAN give useful results, but the trick is to use the > right sequences; for instance, if the one you pick contains the > chirality gene, they you can guarantee bad results which will give > the idea that all sinistral specimens (of whatever species or genus) > are genetically distinct from all dextral specimens and therefore > deserve a different specific name (selffulfilling and erroneous). >

There's also the problem of deciding what the cutoff is. In general, Rob Dillon puts the cutoff higher than most other people, i.e. he's towards the lumper end of things. Of course, some taxa ought to be lumped and some ought to be split-that doesn't say that the Wise et al paper is wrong, just that it is unlikely to oversplit.

Another problem is that genes can occasionally do strange things-sampling a population is desirable, though it costs more and may be problematic with rare species.

-- Dr. David Campbell 425 Scientific Collections University of Alabama "I think of my happy condition, surrounded by acres of clams"

---------------------------------------------------------------------- CONCH-L@listserv.uga.edu - a forum for informal discussions on molluscs To leave this list, click on the following web link: http://listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=conch-l&A=1 Type your email address and name in the appropriate box and click leave the list. ----------------------------------------------------------------------