Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 1)Back to main CONCH-L pageJoin or leave CONCH-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Sep 2007 10:05:37 -0400
Sender:       Conchologists List <CONCH-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Harry G. Lee" <shells@HGLEE.COM>
Subject:      Re: sinistral whelk nomenclature

Dear Listers,

For those of you who would like to see the shells of the species John T. and Andrew G. have mentioned, take a look at Bill Frank's photo-essay on the genus Busycon at <http://www.jaxshells.org/busycona.htm>.

Harry

At 12:36 AM 9/2/2007, Andrew G. wrote: >>On www.malacolog.org the sinistral whelk of the Western Atlantic >>found from Florida to North Carolina is Busycon sinistrum Hollister, >>1958. >> >>My question: Are they now classified as Busycon perversum subspecies >>laeostomum (Kent, 1982) per the findings of Wise, Harasewych and >>Dillon "Population Divergence In The Sinistral Whelks of North >>America With Special Reference to the East Florida Ecotone"? >> >>Or Busycon sinistrum (Hollister, 1958) >> >>Or Busycon perversum (Linnaeus, 1758) >> >>John Timmerman >>Wilmington, North Carolina > >I have requested a reprint or PDF of the senior author. However the >abstract clearly states that all sinistral polulations belong to B. >perversum (L 1758). > >I will be most interested to hear what they have to say about DEXTRAL >populations, because I believe that all living (as well as Pliocene & >many Miocene) Busycon, whatever coiling direction, belong to this >species. The exception being B. coarctatum, of course, which is >distinct and does not inetrgrade with other forms. The others >intergrade in such a way that one cannot sort them out (without >ignoring the intermediate forms). >-- >Andrew Grebneff >Dunedin >New Zealand >Fossil preparator ><andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz>

[text/html]