Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Sep 2007 11:33:45 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Kevin Roland Viel <kviel@EMORY.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Statistics question: What does this reviewer want?

> In my opinion, causality is a matter for scientists and not statisticians. > The stats show the relationships. The science behind the data is > where you get the causality.

The Department of Epidemiology at Emory might just have a position for you David! :)

Entire chapters of epidemiology text bear that name. Several criteria must be met, for instance temporality. Also, we dedicate an immense amount of effort into confounding (or effect measure modification).

Rothman's and Greenland's "Epidemiology" is accessible and a great introduction to this topic. Other authors might be Hernan or Flanders, among others.

HTH,

Kevin

Kevin Viel, PhD Post-doctoral fellow Department of Genetics Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research San Antonio, TX 78227