Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2007, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Mon, 17 Sep 2007 17:08:43 -0400
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   "Fehd, Ronald J. (CDC/CCHIS/NCPHI)" <rjf2@CDC.GOV>
Subject:   Re: OT: Friday Humor

> From: Kevin Roland Viel > Did you learn English, Ron? :)

<groan> As a matter of fact, yes, I did!

I had lived in Hotlanta for 8 years and was a blue-collar worker before I went to China. Even with my vast pre-Atlanta travels, I had a noticable Atlanta/Southern accent.

Well, my students let me know -- ma shang! -- quickly! that they wanted to hear 'Standard English'; none of my regional accent. So, e.g., I lengthened 'frigerator' to 'refrigerator', dropped the -all from you-all, etc.

Today, I attribute my control of the cadence of my speaking voice to those years of e-nun-cia-ting clear-ly.

Ron Fehd the rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain or macro maven CDC Atlanta GA USA RJF2 at cdc dot gov