Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Oct 2007 09:27:05 -0400
Sender:       Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Ken Blankenship <kenhblankenship@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Lincoln's Sparrow, Wren Slam @ Cochran Shoals 10/15/07

I ran down to Cochran Shoals after work yesterday for the last couple hours of light. I headed straight for the sparrow field and was not disappointed.

I have never had all five regular wrens of Georgia in one location, let alone in the same area, and in the middle of metro Atlanta to top it off. Pretty darn cool, I think. Kudos to Chris Hughes of the National Park Service and all the volunteers who improved that field a year and a half ago - the birds appreciate it, too! Highlights...

Sharp-shinned Hawk 1 Sedge Wren 5 Marsh Wren 3 House Wren 2 Winter Wren 1, fots Carolina Wren 4 Magnolia Warbler 1 Common Yellowthroat 3 Eastern Phoebe 2 Red-headed Woodpecker 4 White-throated Sparrow 7 Swamp Sparrow 15-20 Song Sparrow 10-15 LINCOLN'S SPARROW 1 Indigo Bunting, plenty

The LINCOLN'S SPARROW was in the near corner of the field, to the left as you look out from the jogging trail, seen from the low area that is usually flooded in non-drought years. It was relating to the brushy edge with all the dead snags, in a group of SWAMP SPARROWS.

Ken Blankenship Marietta, GA (Cobb County) http://www.wingsoverga.com