Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Oct 2007 17:27:28 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Stephen McDaniel <stephen@STEPHENMCDANIEL.US>
Subject:      Re: 4 WEEKS TO NESUG !!!
Comments: To: Peter Flom <peterflomconsulting@mindspring.com>

Hi Peter,

This is one of the most unusual posts I have seen on SAS-L. Instead of mad scientists we have mad programmers! Maybe they took PROC FREQ too seriously! ;)

Enough bad SAS humor- I think the code clinic specializes in acute care (someone shot my code in the head, what's this function doing here??? How can I make this more efficient) versus long-term care (my code just doesn't seem to work very well and needs some serious rehabilitation since I am not sure what it even does.) Since your case seems to be the latter, you might want to identify the worst offenders in your foster care code and see if they can help with those. :)

Regards, Stephen

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Peter Flom Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 4:58 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: 4 WEEKS TO NESUG !!!

OK, I have a question about the code clinic.

I've inherited a lot of programs. The person who wrote the code was very bright, but literally crazy (like, he's locked up now type crazy) and was fond of writing Rube Goldberg-esque code. He did comment quite a bit, but even with that, I am sometimes at a loss to figure why he did what he did, whether it's a sensible method, and so on.

So, my question is, what does code clinic handle? If I bring in program(s) with only a vague notion of what they are doing, can you clinicians tell me?

Seems a lot to ask.....

Peter