Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007)Back to main CICS-L pageJoin or leave CICS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Nov 2007 19:20:05 EST
Sender:       CICS List <CICS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Robert Zenuk <Robzenuk@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Sharing logstreams between CICS regions

I do not believe you can share the DFHLOG and DFHSHUNT Logstreams between CICS regions (CF or DASD-only). You can have multiple DFHLOG and DFHSHUNT CF Logstreams in a single CF Structure and "share" the CF Structure, but I do not believe it is posible to share the actual Logstreams.

With CF Logstreams you can share a User Journal or Log of Logs Journal across multiple regions across multiple LPAR's in the same Sysplex. With DASD-only Logstreams you can only share a User Journal or Log of Logs Journal across multiple regions on a single LPAR.

We abandon CF Logstreams about 7 years ago since we only use DFHLOG and DFHSHUNT Logstreams and our number of regions at the time (350) caused us to push the maximum number of Logstreams per Structure (12 IIRC) and Structures per CF (255 at the time) and still maintain good performance and keep 50% available Control Space. Since there is no sharing benefit to CF Logstream for DFHLOG and DFHSHUNT and we could not measure any significant performance difference, we chose to go with DASD-only for all CICS Logstreams.

Here is the recent Redbook on the topic:

_http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg246898.pdf_ (http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg246898.pdf)

Hope This Helps,

Rob