Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Nov 2007 17:57:04 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Keith McCormick <keithmc123@gmail.com>
Subject:      Re: Books on SPSS (was RE: Sample Data Files - Where can I find
              them?)
Comments: To: ViAnn Beadle <vab88011@gmail.com>

Hi All,

This could indeed become a lengthy debate, but I would like to defend Andy Field's book brieflly. It's strength is that in addition to the point and click, it also describes almost all the output. Folks that are new to stats want that. There is a fear, at first, that you have to pay equal attention to every number in the output. This is just too much, if you already understand the underlying stats.

If I were to learn SAS, I wouldn't want every stat explained. I can read SAS output quite well, and I don't use SAS at all. I would want the language explained. Field's book is almost the exact opposite of this.

So ... I would recommend Fields book - highly even - for those that are new to stats, and new to SPSS, and that will, in time, be heavy users of stats. If some one just wants to survive a one semester course in Stats, there are better choices. If someone already knows stats, but not SPSS there are better choices as well. Although good novice syntax books seem hard to come by.

I hope that helps clarify what and who Field's book is good for.

Best, Keith www.keithmccormick.com

On Nov 28, 2007 4:17 PM, ViAnn Beadle <vab88011@gmail.com> wrote: > No single book is going to satisfy the requirements of every user of SPSS > because people have widely varying backgrounds and needs. Fermin wanted > something to transfer existing knowledge of SAS syntax to SPSS. So this was > not the book for him. > > Some folks will find that with the exception of getting data into the shape > required, a GUI will do just fine for them. Others will be looking for data > analysis knowledge and basic statistical techniques--the data look this, the > hypotheses are these, so what's the best way to test them and what to look > for in the output. They will need books that are specifically related to > those domains with sample syntax and discussions of domain-specific results. > It's a shame that there aren't books like the Sage monographs for them. > Others will be looking for cookbook recipes for various kinds of reports > that just describe numerically and graphically the data. > > Although I haven't seen the book in question, if it is all Fermin says it > is, then that really speaks poorly for the design of the user interface, > dialogs, and accompanying help for them. Shame on me and all my fellow user > interface designers :-( > > My recommendation is to talk to people who have the same kinds of jobs or > research interests that you have and get their advice. > > -----Original Message----- > From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of > Ornelas, Fermin > Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 1:41 PM > To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Subject: Re: Sample Data Files - Where can I find them? > > I did not want to start a discussion that could become a burden, brought by > my own wording. But I was looking for something with SPSS syntax and good > theoretical explanation. Instead the book just emphasizes the point and > click approach. I went through a lot of problems to get it just to be > disappointed. I was expecting something like Handbook for Statistical > Analysis with SAS by Everitt, but no it was just a lot of verbiage on how to > navigate the SPSS menu. > > Hope this satisfies your question. > > > Fermin Ornelas, Ph.D. > Management Analyst III, AZ DES > 1789 W. Jefferson Street > Phoenix, AZ 85032 > Tel: (602) 542-5639 > E-mail: FerminOrnelas@azdes.gov > > > -----Original Message----- > From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of > Matthew Reeder > Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 1:24 PM > To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Subject: Re: Sample Data Files - Where can I find them? > > Admittedly, I'm not familiar with the title, but I'm always fascinated when > a book evokes a harsh review. What was wrong with it? > > "Ornelas, Fermin" <FerminOrnelas@azdes.gov> wrote: With all the respect, > please do not recommend this book, it is horrendous. > > Fermin Ornelas, Ph.D. > Management Analyst III, AZ DES > 1789 W. Jefferson Street > Phoenix, AZ 85032 > Tel: (602) 542-5639 > E-mail: FerminOrnelas@azdes.gov > > > -----Original Message----- > From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of > leah quinlivan > Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 11:44 AM > To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Subject: Re: Sample Data Files - Where can I find them? > > Hi, > > If your going to buy a book, the Andy Field "Discovering Statistics using > SPSS" is brilliant, has practice files, very clear and interesting. > > Best of luck, > > Leah > > > On 28/11/2007, Donna Alden-Bugden wrote: > > > > I am VERY new to SPSS and I wanted to practice with some data files. Does > > anyone know where to get some data files. I found some .sps files on our > > Stats Canada website, but I don't seem to know what to do with them. They > > don't import as regular ascii files...they have a lot of other information > > in them, like coding. > > Thanks and sorry for my ignorance....I really need to buy the SPSS for > > Dummy's book... > > > > Donna > > > > > > ********************************************************** > > Donna Alden-Bugden, RN(EP), MN > > Primary Care Nurse Practitioner > > Winnipeg, Manitoba > > http://www.NPCanada.ca > > Donna@Alden-Bugden.ca > > ********************************************************** > > > > ===================== > > To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to > > LISTSERV@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the > > command. To leave the list, send the command > > SIGNOFF SPSSX-L > > For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command > > INFO REFCARD > > > > > > -- > Leah Quinlivan > > ===================== > To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to > LISTSERV@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the > command. To leave the list, send the command > SIGNOFF SPSSX-L > For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command > INFO REFCARD > > NOTICE: This e-mail (and any attachments) may contain PRIVILEGED OR > CONFIDENTIAL information and is intended only for the use of the specific > individual(s) to whom it is addressed. It may contain information that is > privileged and confidential under state and federal law. This information > may be used or disclosed only in accordance with law, and you may be subject > to penalties under law for improper use or further disclosure of the > information in this e-mail and its attachments. If you have received this > e-mail in error, please immediately notify the person named above by reply > e-mail, and then delete the original e-mail. Thank you. > > ===================== > To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to > LISTSERV@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the > command. To leave the list, send the command > SIGNOFF SPSSX-L > For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command > INFO REFCARD > > > > --------------------------------- > Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage. > > ===================== > To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to > LISTSERV@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the > command. To leave the list, send the command > SIGNOFF SPSSX-L > For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command > INFO REFCARD > > ===================== > To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to > LISTSERV@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the > command. To leave the list, send the command > SIGNOFF SPSSX-L > For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command > INFO REFCARD > > ===================== > To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to > LISTSERV@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the > command. To leave the list, send the command > SIGNOFF SPSSX-L > For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command > INFO REFCARD >