Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Nov 2007 14:59:37 -0600
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Peck, Jon" <peck@spss.com>
Subject:      Re: set cache reasonable values
Comments: To: Richard Ristow <wrristow@mindspring.com>

" Apparently [2097151 bytes] is a software determined >maximum [and cannot always be reached]:"

Well, actually no. That is 2GB (it's measure in K), and that is the maximum address space possible for any 32-bit Windows application. That is doubtless too big for reasonable use.

This doesn't explain the original problem, but trying to make the workspace that big is probably not the solution.

-Jon Peck

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Richard Ristow Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 1:40 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: [SPSSX-L] set cache reasonable values

At 02:28 PM 11/28/2007, Brian Moore wrote:

>Thanks to everyone for insights on this issue. > >I have succeeded in cleaning out the cache, but still getting >warnings. Apparently [2097151 bytes] is a software determined >maximum [and cannot always be reached]: > >>Warning # 44 >>The operating system could not allocate a memory segment of the >>size requested by SPSS. > >Other specs that may matter: >-using version 15 (but are looking at upgrading to 16) >-File size is 420 MB >-& I have ~20 gigs total free.

Well, that appears to rule out an *intrinsic* problem with disk space, although you previously got a message that SPSS couldn't get the disk space it *thought* it needed:

>>Error. Command name: SORT CASES >>File write error: file name >>C:\DOCUME~1\BMoore\LOCALS~1\Temp\spss2064\cache.33: No space left >>on device (DATA1002) This command not executed.

Goodness knows how SPSS got there, but I doubt we can diagnose that, certainly not fix it.

>Any other ideas?

Well, the command sequence that blew up before was

>> 222 COMPUTE InDupGrp = MatchSequence > 0. >> 223 SORT CASES InDupGrp(D).

Assuming that's still the case,

(a) Very wild chance: Do you need to do it at all? The code following the sort, in your original posting, didn't appear to rely on the data's being sorted by 'InDupGrp'. But I doubt this'll do it; presumably, you do need the sort, otherwise.

(b) Still relying on your original posting: It struck me that, earlier in your code, the command

>> 212 SORT CASES BY cust(A) Order_Date_Overall(A) ProductType(D).

apparently worked, on the same file.

Sorting on the binary variable 'InDupGrp' gives a huge number of ties on the sort key, and I wonder whether that gives the sorting algorithm some trouble. (Yes, I can give a good argument why it shouldn't.) I'd try appending the previous key sequence:

COMPUTE InDupGrp = MatchSequence > 0. SORT CASES BY InDupGrp(D) cust(A) Order_Date_Overall(A) ProductType(D).

(c) Have you tried the work-around I suggested? That is,

DO IF InDupGrp EQ 1. . XSAVE OUTFILE=InDupYes. ELSE. . XSAVE OUTFILE=InDupNo. END IF. EXECUTE.

ADD FILES /FILE=InDupYes /FILE=InDupNo.

(Here, InDupYes and InDupNo are file names or file handles - NOT dataset names - for scratch files; and the code's still not tested.) .................... Apologies for any crucial points I've missed. But, well, 'any ideas' this is.

-Best of luck and best wishes, Richard