Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Nov 2007 21:08:10 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Alan Churchill <savian001@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: file compare utility
Comments: To: Steve First <sfirst@SYS-SEMINAR.COM>

Consider pumping it into a text format and using UltraCompare (UltraEdit companion product).

Alan

Alan Churchill Savian www.savian.net

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Steve First Sent: Friday, November 09, 2007 8:51 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: file compare utility

Hi, I am looking for a more robust file compare routine than proc compare. What I would like is a sas technique that works like the unix DIFF command. I have two SAS ds, where each row may match or it may have extra rows on either ds. There is no common key or sort order.

Example:

ds1 ds2

x x

1 1 2 3 3 4 5 5 5 4

What i would like would be something like.

x x_1

1 1 2 . 3 3 . 4 5 5 . 5 . 4

Proc compare doesnt seem to handle extra rows in either of the two files unless there is a key (id). There is some written about the diff algorithm, but they are mostly written in c or such, and Im a SAS guy. Does anyone have an algorithm that can do this and be adapted to SAS?

Thanks,

Steve