Date:         Thu, 10 Jan 2008 16:49:55 -0600
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Norton, John" <jnorton@spss.com>
Subject:      Re: select cases from part of idnum variable
Comments: To: Martin Sherman <MSherman@loyola.edu>

Hi Dr. Sherman,

I think one way to approach this is to treat the source as a string variable, and then convert the extracted values back to numbers within the ANY() function. The following example takes this approach, and therefore allows me to use several string functions, evaluate for the selection criteria, and then create a binary flag variable on which I can filter or execute a SELECT IF command.

COMPUTE flag = ANY((NUMBER(SUBSTR(LTRIM(RTRIM(STRING(id,F8))),1,3),F8)), 101,102,103,104,105,107,114,117,118).

I hope this helps. If I can offer any further assistance or clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Good Luck,

John Norton SPSS Inc.

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Martin Sherman Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2008 3:47 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: select cases from part of idnum variable

Dear list: I have a large data set with a variable called IDNUM which has 8 digits. I want to select those cases that start with 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 107, 114, 117, or 118. I don't care what numbers come after the first three. I check Raynald Levesque's site and could not find a syntax program for selecting cases based on the first three values of a numerical variable. Suggestions appreciated. thanks,

Martin F. Sherman, Ph.D. Professor of Psychology Director of Masters Education: Thesis Track Loyola College Psychology Department 222 B Beatty Hall 4501 North Charles Street Baltimore, MD 21210

410 617-2417 (office) 410 617-5341 (fax)

msherman@loyola.edu