Date:         Wed, 2 Jan 2008 16:12:46 -0600
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Oliver, Richard" <roliver@spss.com>
Subject:      Re: V16 Problem With Merge Files -solved
Comments: To: Brian Moore <BMoore@worldatwork.org>

There may be a bug in the dialog UI for Match Files (Merge Files>Add Variables), but the Match File command itself is not case-sensitive in regard to matching variable names. The following example works correctly in SPSS 16:

data list free /idvar var1. begin data 1 1 2 2 3 3 end data. sort cases by idvar. dataset name one. data list free /IDVAR var2. begin data 1 4 2 5 3 6 end data. sort cases by IDVAR. dataset name two. match files file=one /file=* /by IdVaR. execute.

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Brian Moore Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 2:38 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: V16 Problem With Merge Files -solved

Hi all-

Turns out that for variables to be identical for matching purposes they must be of the same CASE, though the GUI does successfully recognize them as identical in the first part [won't both be allowed to be in the merged file].

This may not be new with v16, but I'd like to vote that this be declared a bug [at a minimum that all pieces of the same command have similar standards whatever they are declared to be].

Anyway - thanks Jim for your suggestion and all of you for this great forum.

Regards, Brian

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Marks, Jim Sent: Monday, December 31, 2007 3:30 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: V16 Problem With Merge Files

Brian:

My help file for V15 says RENAME ranames variables on the input files before they are processed by MATCH FILES

Your error msg matches this-- it says that "cust" doesn't exist in the second input file. That is the result of the RENAME command-- the variable cust no longer exists in the version of the file to be matched.

I tried this syntax with V15 and reproduced the error. I'm surprised the syntax works sometimes-- when it works is the rename and drop used on the matching variable?

--jim

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Brian Moore Sent: Monday, December 31, 2007 4:07 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: V16 Problem With Merge Files

Hi all-

I am having some problems with file matching in V16 that worked with my syntax from V15. But sometimes (other pairs of files) matching is working, so the command isn't completely lost.

The variable in question is in both files & numeric in both. In fact I used the GUI to generate the syntax below [which means the variable was found in both files to ALLOW it to be moved into the key variables area in the lower right].

Anyone see the problem or know if this is patchable?

**one last note, for "fun" I tried making the linkage in both directions (having file 1 open vs. having file 2 open) and in BOTH cases I get the same error message that the Input2 variable is the one missing.

Thanks, Brian

MATCH FILES /FILE=* /FILE='J:\Strategic Product Alignment\Active Products-2007\PC 84- Webinar '+ 'Analysis\FirstWebinarPurchase.sav' /RENAME (Cust = d0) /BY cust /DROP= d0.

Variable(s) incorrectly used in 'BY'

------Input1------ ------Input2------ Result Type Variable name Type Variable name

cust num cust (missing)

Codes: num = numeric; sn = string of length n