Date:         Thu, 17 Jan 2008 15:11:33 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Don Asay <donald.asay82@gmail.com>
Subject:      How to flag individuals who participated 3 years in a row

I have a dataset with where data was collected over 3 years, some individuals dropped out some individuals came on, but it seems like the majority of those that participated in the first year also participated in the last year. I want to figure out how many people participated in all three years. Each year for each person is entered as its own record so person 001 in year 2003 is stored 0012003 person 002 is 0022003 and so on.

The data has the aforementioned unique ID; a respondent ID; and the year participated.

I tried sorting by year then unique Id then using a lag function to mark all of the cases with a 1 if the case above has the same ID as the case being examined. This lets me know if the person has participated before, but doesn't tell me if they participated in all 3 years. I would like to come up with a way to mark all of the individual cases if and only if they have participated in all three years. Any suggestions would be helpful.