Date:         Fri, 18 Jan 2008 14:24:22 -0600
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Norton, John" <jnorton@spss.com>
Subject:      Re: data backup??
Comments: To: avm9t@cms.mail.virginia.edu

Hi Adam,

You should still be able to retrieve the commands from the journal file. Even if you use a command and interactively edit it by changing the variables and re-run it, the new command just executed should still be recorded in the journal file.

Also, if you are continuously running the same commands but manually editing the variables (or other options), I would encourage you to consider automating the processes by using SPSS macros and/or Python. This will allow you to place tokens where the variables or other settings are in the commands, and then feed values to the tokens (variable names, for example) and thereby tremendously decrease the amount of time currently being spent manually editing the variable names.

Good luck,

John Norton SPSS Inc.

-----Original Message----- From: Adam Maltese [mailto:avm9t@a.mail.virginia.edu] Sent: Friday, January 18, 2008 2:17 PM To: Norton, John Subject: RE: data backup??

Thanks John. Unfortunately, I've been running everything from syntax anyway, so I have a complete record of the operations......however, because I'm creating summary variables and cutting and pasting, that won't work for me.

Cheers, Adam

-----Original Message----- From: Norton, John [mailto:jnorton@spss.com] Sent: Friday, January 18, 2008 3:14 PM To: avm9t@cms.mail.virginia.edu Subject: RE: data backup??

Hi Adam,

There's no back up, per se. But SPSS does by default save the commands from your sessions. So, for example, if you executed a frequency distribution from the menus, SPSS saves the frequency command with all your settings to the SPSS Journal file.

This file is called "spss.jnl" is usually saved to the Temp directory off the C drive. You can determine where the journal file is saved by looking under Edit > Options from within SPSS.

As this file is essentially a record of your work, written in SPSS commands, you can recreate your work by locating the time stamp in the journal file from when you started your work. Then, simply copy and paste the commands to a syntax window and run them interactively. I've found that it's best to run the commands in blocks, and not all at once, so that you can more effectively retrace your steps.

I hope this helps.

John Norton SPSS Inc.

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Adam Maltese Sent: Friday, January 18, 2008 1:58 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: data backup??

Good afternoon! I just was finishing up work on cleaning up a data set of college transcript records. For some unknown reason, SPSS started telling me that I couldn't save or made any more edits to the copy I was working on. I tried a Save As, and that didn't work either. At this point I've lost the last 4 days of (very tedious) work. Does anyone know if SPSS saves temporary or backup files in some hidden location that I might be able to "restore" to?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

Adam

**************************************************************** Adam V. Maltese, PhD Candidate in Science Education Curry School of Education University of Virginia 405 Emmet St. South P.O. Box 400273 Charlottesville, VA 22904 Ph: (434) 924-4732 Fax: (434) 924-0747 ****************************************************************