Date:         Thu, 3 Jan 2008 08:42:30 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Art Kendall <Arthur.Kendall@verizon.net>
Subject:      Re: Comparing Selected Cases with All Cases
Comments: To: "Dybdahl, Alf-Christian" <Alf-Christian.Dybdahl@laerdal.no>

You most likely want to compare Germany to the other countries rather than having Germany on both sides of the comparison. First create a variable the represents that comparison of interest. Something like this.

compute mygroups = country eq 'Germany'. value labels mygroups 1 'Germany' 0 'other countries'.

A lot depends on your sample design. Are there already case weights in the data? etc. These are necessary to weight the cases,

My superficial guess would be that you would want to use the COMPLEX SAMPLES procedures.

A lot depends on the questions you want to ask of the data and the levels of measurement of the data.

You might do simple comparisons of percentages, t-tests, contingency tables, or more sophisticated models of the data such as categorical regression, discriminant function analysis, etc.

Art Kendall Social Research Consultants

Dybdahl, Alf-Christian wrote: > Dear all, > > Happy New Year! > I am using SPSS 15.0 for Windows. > > I have a file with responses from a survey from different countries and > departments. I want to run simple statistics on the results where I e.g. > create a report that shows the results for Germany compared with the > total scores. > > I am pretty new to SPSS and would greatly appreciate any help on how to > accomplish this. > > Thanks for your time. > > Best regards, > Alf-Christian Dybdahl > Laerdal Medical > > > =================== > To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to > LISTSERV@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the > command. To leave the list, send the command > SIGNOFF SPSSX-L > For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command > INFO REFCARD > > >