Date:         Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:36:21 -0800
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         jimjohn <azam.khan@UTORONTO.CA>
Subject:      breaking a variable's data into intervals

hi guys im a beginner and just have an spss question

if i have a variable with a bunch of numbers in it ranging from 0-200, and I want to perform some analysis but I want to separate the variables into intervals (for example, 0-10, 10-30, 30-50,...) and I want to run this analysis separately for each interval.

For example, I want to see how two other variables in my data set correlate with each other when a third variable is between 0-10, or how they correlate when that third variable is between 10-30, and so on.

Does anyone have an idea how I can use SPSS to do this? I can think of a long way where I choose Select -> Cases and filter the variable for each interval and then run my analysis each time. But I'm sure there must be a shorter way of doing this. any ideas would be great? thanks. -- View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/breaking-a-variable%27s-data-into-intervals-tp15048598p15048598.html Sent from the SPSSX Discussion mailing list archive at Nabble.com.