Date:         Wed, 23 Jan 2008 13:42:31 -0700
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         ViAnn Beadle <vab88011@gmail.com>
Subject:      Re: breaking a variable's data into intervals
Comments: To: jimjohn <azam.khan@UTORONTO.CA>

Create a new variable from the intervals using recode with INTO keyword. Split the file on this variable sorting on the new variable and then using SPLIT FILE BY the new variable. Run your analysis which will loop through the splits.

RECODE var (0 thru 10=1)(11 thru 30=2)... INTO newvar. SORT CASES by newvar. SPLIT FILE by newvar. CORRELATIONS anothervar1 anothervar2.

Do you want 10 as the endpoint for the 1st interval or the start point for the next interval? You've got to decide one way or the other and adjust your RECODE accordingly.

Here are general instructions to do this via the menus and dialog box:

1. Go to Transformation>Recode into Different Variables to do your recode. 2. Go to Data>Split File to sort and split the file. 3. Go to Analyze>Correlate>Bivariate to run

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of jimjohn Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 11:36 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: breaking a variable's data into intervals

hi guys im a beginner and just have an spss question

if i have a variable with a bunch of numbers in it ranging from 0-200, and I want to perform some analysis but I want to separate the variables into intervals (for example, 0-10, 10-30, 30-50,...) and I want to run this analysis separately for each interval.

For example, I want to see how two other variables in my data set correlate with each other when a third variable is between 0-10, or how they correlate when that third variable is between 10-30, and so on.

Does anyone have an idea how I can use SPSS to do this? I can think of a long way where I choose Select -> Cases and filter the variable for each interval and then run my analysis each time. But I'm sure there must be a shorter way of doing this. any ideas would be great? thanks. -- View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/breaking-a-variable%27s-data-into-intervals-tp15048598 p15048598.html Sent from the SPSSX Discussion mailing list archive at Nabble.com.