Date:         Thu, 24 Jan 2008 09:37:48 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Gene Maguin <emaguin@buffalo.edu>
Subject:      Re: compute total amount over any consecutive X years

Mark,

>>... I ended up working with our IT dept. to build a standalone file that contains [gift amount] and [gift date] tied to [ID] for an individual's last 120 gifts. These gifts *could* all come in only a couple years in some cases. What I'd like to do now is determine which people in this file have cummulative giving of at least $100K over any consecutive five-year (or shorter) period in the file. Variables are:

ID DATE0001 GFCRAM0001 DATE0002 GFCRAM0002 DATE0003 GFCRAM0003 etc.

First of all, I'm not at all clear on your file structure. This sentence seems to suggest a 'long' structure ('... file that contains [gift amount] and [gift date] tied to [ID] for an individual's last 120 gifts'). But your variable name list seems to suggest a 'wide' structure of the form

ID DATE0001 GFCRAM0001 DATE0002 GFCRAM0002 ... DATE0120 GFCRAM0120.

One question is which, if either, is correct.

Gene Maguin