Date:         Thu, 24 Jan 2008 08:59:59 -0700
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         ViAnn Beadle <vab88011@gmail.com>
Subject:      Re: How get rid of meaningless digits in MEANS output?
Comments: To: Eero Olli <eero.olli@ldo.no>

Most procedures within SPSS add 2 decimal digits to the mean displayed since most users would think those digits significant. Many procedures within SPSS are able to calculate the MEAN of a variable and some of them allow you to explicitly provide a format for the output. Check out REPORT (which produces ordinary text output and not pivot table output), TABLES, or CTABLES. If you're really determined, you can also use the AGGREGATE command to create a new file of means as variables which you can then define PRINT FORMATS for and use LIST CASES to list them.

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Eero Olli Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2008 8:47 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: SV: How get rid of meaningless digits in MEANS output?

Thanks for your reply.

I should have written in my orginal mail that use the FORMATS and my variables are already in F2.0 format. I have also tried the PRINT FORMAT or WRITE FORMAT but the the output format of the MEANS command does not change.

FORMATS A B (F2.0). MEANS TABLES=A B BY C /CELLS MEAN COUNT MIN MAX .

I am running SPSS 15.0 and this behavior goes ways back, if I remember correctly.

Best, Eero

_________________________________ Rådgiver Eero Olli Likestillings- og diskrimineringsombudet eero.olli@ldo.no +47 24055951 Postboks 8048 Dep, N-0031 Oslo

-----Opprinnelig melding----- Fra: Hector Maletta [mailto:hmaletta@fibertel.com.ar] Sendt: 24. januar 2008 16:27 Til: Eero Olli; SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Emne: RE: How get rid of meaningless digits in MEANS output?

The mean has the number of decimals established in the variable's format. Just change the format before asking for the mean. For instance, for getting no decimals:

FORMAT A B (F8.0). MEANS A B /CELLS MEAN N. The F8.0 implies eight visible places (including the decimal point), with zero decimals. F8.2 would imply 8 places and 2 decimals, i.e. up to 5 integers, one place for the decimal point, and two decimals. The FORMAT command does not affect the internal precision of the mean, or any other result, which is always the same (about 20 decimals), but only the appearance of the variable in the data editor and its statistics in the output. Hector -----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Eero Olli Sent: 24 January 2008 20:48 To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: How get rid of meaningless digits in MEANS output?

Hello to you all,

I am calculating some means often, and I would like to get rid of some extra digits.

This is the output from MEANS A B Mean 6,60 9,86 N 3098 436

This is what I would like to have A B Mean 7 10 N 3098 436

Is there a way to reduce the number of digits (round) in the result to whole numbers in the syntax? I have tried various commands but they affect the variables themselves, not the result of the means procedure.

Sincerely, Eero Olli