Date:         Thu, 24 Jan 2008 09:54:14 -0700
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Marc Mackert <Marc.Mackert@state.co.us>
Subject:      Logistic Regression Interpretation Questions

I am working on a study that involves a one-group posttest only design. I am using logistic regression to test a Dichotomous Dependent Variable. I have several Independent Variables. Specifically the study includes seven independent variables. These IVS are all ratio, scaled from 0-1. The analysis also includes control/intervening variables that are a mixture of scale and categorical variables. Specifically, 1 scale and 12 categorical variables. I have entered my variables into the logistic regression model in 4 blocks. This is my first experience using logistic regression and I am confused by some of the results I am getting and the correct way to interpret the results. I have several questions: The first question is how high is too high for a -2LL. My -2LL is near 3000. The next question is related to the interpretation of the tests of model fit. The Omnibus Tests of Model Coefficients are all significant at the <p.000 level for each block. However, the Hosmer Lemeshow test shows model fit for blocks 1 and 4 – not for Block 2 or 3. I am confused as to whether I should analyze the regression models 1 and 4? I will say my hypotheses testing is more concerned with blocks 3 and 4 than with blocks 1 and 2. Simply put, when analyzing logistic regression where variables have been entered in as blocks, if the data do not fit the model in early blocks – is it correct that the analyses stops there? I am looking for both a reference if anyone can suggest one or technical expertise/advice if it is available. Marc J. Mackert, Ph.D. Manager Administrative Review Division 4045 S. Lowell Blvd. Denver, Colorado 80236 Office: (303) 866-7137 Cell: (303) 947-3106 www.cdhs.state.co.us/ard

This e-mail and any attachments thereto, is intended only for use by the addressees named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify me at 303.866.7137 and permanently delete the original and any copy of any e-mail and any printout thereof.