Date:         Fri, 25 Jan 2008 09:47:07 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Graham Wright <gwwri@brandeis.edu>
Subject:      Re: spss 16 output
Comments: To: ViAnn Beadle <vab88011@gmail.com>

Is the lack of either forwards OR backwards computability just a marketing ploy to get everyone to upgrade or is there some technical reasoning behind it? I have Stata as well, and it doesn't seem to have this kind of issue.

I was actually going to upgrade to 16, but since almost everyone I know still uses 15, I guess I won't bother.

-Graham

ViAnn Beadle wrote: > The format of SPSS output files has changed from release to release since > Release 7 and has never been backwardly compatible. > > -----Original Message----- > From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of > Graham Wright > Sent: Friday, January 25, 2008 7:32 AM > To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Subject: spss 16 output > > It seems that SPSS 16 has changed the format for output files to > something called .spv, which I can't seem to open in SPSS 15, which will > only open .spo files. There doesn't seem to be a way to get SPSS 16 to > save output in the old format. Is there a way to open SPSS 16 output in > older versions or is this just a preposterous oversight on SPSS's part? > > -G > > ===================== > To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to > LISTSERV@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the > command. To leave the list, send the command > SIGNOFF SPSSX-L > For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command > INFO REFCARD > > ===================== > To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to > LISTSERV@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the > command. To leave the list, send the command > SIGNOFF SPSSX-L > For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command > INFO REFCARD >