Date:         Fri, 25 Jan 2008 17:41:17 -0800
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         jimjohn <azam.khan@UTORONTO.CA>
Subject:      Re: Regression Output

thanks guys. so how would i go about deciding if the two variables are correlated in this case. im guessing that since the sample size is so high, a lot of my variables will be significantly correlated and that i shouldnt pay much attention to this particular significant correlation. does that sound rigiht? thx.

Swank, Paul R wrote: > > Yes, it is because you have 24,000 observations on each measure. T = r / > sqrt[(1-r**2) / (n-2)] so the t for a correlation of .05 is 7.755. Even > a correlation of .01 has a t of 1.55 with a sample size that large. So > the next question is, can such a correlation ever be of real importance. > Examples could probably be given for the practical significance of such > a small correlation but it would be unlikely for most problems. > > Paul R. Swank, Ph.D. > Professor and Director of Research > Children's Learning Institute > University of Texas Health Science Center - Houston > > > -----Original Message----- > From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of > jimjohn > Sent: Friday, January 25, 2008 1:29 PM > To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Subject: Re: Regression Output > > hey just to follow up when i do analyze - correlate - bivariate, I get r > = > .061 and significant. i guess because the sample size is so large > (24,000), > that maybe thats why even a small correlation becomes significant? any > ideas. thanks. > > > > jimjohn wrote: >> >> >> can someone plz help me with this: >> >> I just conducted a simple linear regression and my output looks like > this: >> R^2 = .004, R^2adj = .004 >> >> Under ANOVA, the F* = 91.462, SIG = 0.000 >> >> Under Coefficients >> beside my independent variable, it gives me: >> Unstandardized = 0.112 , StdError = 0.012, T* = 9.564 , Sig = 0.000 >> >> I don't understand how can the tests be significant if the R^2 is so > low? >> Since my test results are significant, that means I can conclude there > is >> a relationship between the two variables right? Can someone please >> explain. thanks. >> > > -- > View this message in context: > http://www.nabble.com/Regression-Output-tp15094660p15095024.html > Sent from the SPSSX Discussion mailing list archive at Nabble.com. > > ===================== > To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to > LISTSERV@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the > command. To leave the list, send the command > SIGNOFF SPSSX-L > For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command > INFO REFCARD > > ===================== > To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to > LISTSERV@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the > command. To leave the list, send the command > SIGNOFF SPSSX-L > For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command > INFO REFCARD > >