Date:         Mon, 28 Jan 2008 06:44:56 -0700
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         ViAnn Beadle <vab88011@gmail.com>
Subject:      Re: 'Old' Tables was:  spss 16 output
Comments: To: "Smith, Anne" <SmithAnne@dnb.com>

Look at my post of last week (Constructing frequency tables for 5-point scale items) which does precisely this with CTABLES. If you use the UI, all the categorical variables in the table must have exactly the same set of value labels. There is a specific help topic on this:

Tables Option>Tables for Variables with Shared Categories

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Smith, Anne Sent: Monday, January 28, 2008 6:08 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: 'Old' Tables was: spss 16 output

The only part of 'old' tables I have never been able to replicate with Custom tables is the 'Table of Frequencies' where lots of variables with the same possible values are all shown in a single table alongside each other, with only one set of value labels showing on the left. I always use GUI to generate the syntax for this as it is very useful output. Is there a way to do this using Custom Tables instead?

Anne

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Oliver, Richard Sent: 25 January 2008 21:43 To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: 'Old' Tables was: spss 16 output

"Old" Tables is still available via syntax in SPSS 16, but the dialog UI for "Old" Tables is no longer available.

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Cleland, Patricia (EDU) Sent: Friday, January 25, 2008 3:13 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: 'Old' Tables was: spss 16 output

When I spoke with SPSS, I found out that 'Old' Tables was still available as of v15 and is actually installed as part of the basic installation. However, you need a separate (free) authorization code for it.

You can get it from SPSS and then you'll need to re-run the Authorization Wizard. SPSS told me that they wanted to 'wean' users off 'Old' tables, so I guess at some point, they'll quit including 'Old'tables. I will miss it.

Pat

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of David Lindsay Sent: January 25, 2008 9:48 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: spss 16 output

You have no idea what hassle this causes me. I have to keep different versions of SPSS on my PC to accommodate the different versions that clients use. Its about time that output is standardised.

I have just been looking at version 15 and I see that the old tables module has gone and where is conjoint?

Have a good weekend. > > The format of SPSS output files has changed from release to > release since > Release 7 and has never been backwardly compatible. > > -----Original Message----- > From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of > Graham Wright > Sent: Friday, January 25, 2008 7:32 AM > To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Subject: spss 16 output > > It seems that SPSS 16 has changed the format for output files to > something called .spv, which I can't seem to open in SPSS 15, which will > only open .spo files. There doesn't seem to be a way to get SPSS 16 to > save output in the old format. Is there a way to open SPSS 16 output in > older versions or is this just a preposterous oversight on SPSS's part? > > -G > > ===================== > To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to > LISTSERV@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the > command. To leave the list, send the command > SIGNOFF SPSSX-L > For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command > INFO REFCARD > > ===================== > To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to > LISTSERV@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the > command. To leave the list, send the command > SIGNOFF SPSSX-L > For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command > INFO REFCARD >

-- David Lindsay Significantly Different Research +44 118 940 3086/2500 +44 7939 126 206 (mobile)