Date:         Tue, 29 Jan 2008 06:15:36 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Shin <shintaro.okazaki@UAM.ES>
Subject:      Bonferroni-adjusted t-tests

Dear all:

I have a question regarding t-tests. One of the reviewers suggested me to perform "Bonferroni-adjusted t-tests". I understand that Bonferroni is one of the post hoc methods in MULTIPLE group comparisons of ANOVA. However, our study deals with only TWO groups.

His/her main argument is that our results of two-group comparison generated very small means, but probably due to a relatively large sample size (n1=870, n2=780), t-tests detected statistical significance at 0.05, which may not have any practical meaning. Therefore, he/she suggested us to "adjuste the alpha level." He/She implies that if I indeed adjust the alpha, some of the comparisons may not result in statistical significance.

Could anybody explain how we could perform Bonferroni-adjusted t-tests IN A TWO-GROUP COMPARISON via SPSS? I have looked at the main menu but could not find any option of this kind, except in ANOVA as a post hoc option. Thank you for your help in advance.

Shin

S. Okazaki Autonomous University of Madrid