Date:         Tue, 29 Jan 2008 18:02:45 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Sam Ballard <sballard@SDCCD.EDU>
Subject:      Strange Error Message

Dear Listserve,

I'm processing a DAT file and I'm getting the error below. The case that the error references appears to be blank in the raw file. I guess it is possible there is a ghost character in the cell.

Has anyone encountered this problem? Does anyone have a solution? Why would the software insert an exclamation point?

>Warning # 1158 >An invalid character was encountered in a field read under an A format. In >double-byte data such as Japanese, Chinese, or Korean text, this could be >caused by a single character being split between two fields. The character >will be treated as an exclamation point.

>Command line: 14049 Current case: 1026 Current splitfile group: 1 >Field contents: '!!!!!' >Record number: 1026 Starting column: 240 Record length: 8192

Thanks,

Sam Ballard SDCCD sballard@sdccd.edu