Date:         Thu, 31 Jan 2008 09:00:38 -0800
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         jimjohn <azam.khan@utoronto.ca>
Subject:      new variable that computes maximum by pool

hi guys can someone help me with the following in spss:

Two of the variables that I have in my data set are poolno and nummtgs. so for each poolno, there will be many different records with different nummtgs. i want to create a new variable that for each poolno, it will be the maximum of the numtgs in that pool. so for the same pool, each record in this variable will have the same value, the maximum nummtgs in that pool.

now i think i can use split file group by pools, and i know there is a max function under transform -> compute new variable. but this max function only takes in two arguments, so how would i use this to find the max under each pool? any advice would be greatly appreciated -- View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/new-variable-that-computes-maximum-by-pool-tp15208585p15208585.html Sent from the SPSSX Discussion mailing list archive at Nabble.com.