Date:         Sun, 6 Jan 2008 12:44:54 +0100
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Hector Maletta <hmaletta@fibertel.com.ar>
Subject:      Re: can SD be greater than AM?
Comments: To: Pushpender Nath <pushpendernath@gmail.com>

It happens all the time, Push, especially when there are extreme values far apart. Example: 1000 cases with the value x=0.01, one case with the value x=100. Approx results: Mean=0.11, SD=2.23. It may also happen in normal distributions. Take a standard normal distribution of a variable Z with mean=0 and SD=1. Shift it slightly to the right by making the variable W=Z+0.1. Now you have mean=0.1 and SD=1. Hector

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Pushpender Nath Sent: 06 January 2008 11:41 To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: can SD be greater than AM?

Ladies and Gentlemen Good Day! I have a question in my mind. I want to know "Whether Standard Deviation can be greater than Arithmatic Mean?" I asked this to many fellows. Some say yes , some say no. The fellows who say yes, could never give me any example. I suppose, SD can never be greater than AM. Am I right? If not then please give me some data example.

-- Regards

Pushpender Nath +91 9904948425