Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Jan 2008 09:57:23 -0800
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Joep Steeman <jsteeman@BUSINESSDECISION.COM>
Subject:      Re: version management system for SAS (AF/SCL)
Comments: To: sas-l@uga.edu

On 25 jan, 16:09, RandyHerbi...@WESTAT.COM (Randy Herbison) wrote: > SAS/AF includes a SAS/AF application named Source Control Manager (SCM) > that was designed to work with SAS/AF applications. According to the > SAS Help, SCM includes > > -a user-friendly interface > > -SAS file check-in/check-out capabilities > > -flexible testing > > -revision control > > -version labeling > > -easy application distribution > > You may want to check the SAS help to see if SCM meets your needs. > > -Randy > > > > -----Original Message----- > From: owner-sa...@listserv.uga.edu [mailto:owner-sa...@listserv.uga.edu] > > On Behalf Of Joep Steeman > Sent: Friday, January 25, 2008 6:08 AM > To: sa...@uga.edu > Subject: version management system for SAS (AF/SCL) > > Hello, > > I'm working at a shop where much SAS programming is done in AF and SCL. > What is lacking is a version management system, designed for use with AF > and SCL entries. I understood that the metadata server supports the > check-in, check-out mechanism, but only for code in flat files. > > Right now it depends on the discipline of the programmers to document > the changes and enhancements in the headers (or separate > documentation) and to make use of version numbering, back-up versions > etc., which is too vulnerable. > > Does anyone have experience in the use of such a tool, may-be third > party, which facilitates version tracking, backing-up and retrieving > prior versions? > > Best regards, > > Joep Steeman- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven - > > - Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

Thank you all for your contributions. I've been looking in today into the different possibilities. As SAS catalog entries are kep in an internal SAS format, I cannot make use of the third party apps. As far as I could make out off the the provide information, these apps can handle objects as a whole. Say they can manage the different appearances of these objects, but can they look into them. Is it possible to compare different versions of catalog entries?

SCM can do that, but it is obvious that it's outdated. It originates from V6, as for the look and feel. It cannot handle classes very well, but with some adjustments made to the processing and work flow, it can meet our needs. When a class is compiled by use of saveclass, it is compiled with the libname and catalogname. So it has to be in the final libname. Modifying and compiling (saveclass) in SCM makes that hard.

What we think as the best way, is make use of the check-out, check-in mechanism and the different revisions that are kept in de database. Modifying and compiling is done outside of SCM with use of concatenated libraries. After that we return to SCM and the entries are placed back with check- in and are as such free for use by others.

There are still some issues to solve, but it looks promising.

Best regards,

Joep