Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Feb 2008 14:31:57 -0800
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Xuhong <zhuxuhong2000@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Please help with my coding problem!
Comments: To: sas-l@uga.edu

Thank very much for your quick response. Here is the reason why I am doing this. We did a survey by two methods. One is from online and another part is by paper. For paper part, they scanned each answers into four numbers and I need to translate the 4 numbers back to the original meanings. Then I could merge the two parts together.

Just now, I tried your codes and it works for my example. However, my original part didn't work. I changed the dataset name and I don't need to change the work directory since it is there.

I thought my original logic is very similar to yours. However, the weird thing is my results always only show length four.

Here is my codes:

Proc contents data=Pap_New2 out=temp (keep=name type) ; run;

proc sql noprint; select trim(name) into :charvar separated by ' ' from temp where type=2; quit;

%put NOTE: name=&charvar;

data Pap_New3 (drop=i); length &charvar $50; set Pap_New2; array a(*) _character_; do i = 1 to dim(a); a[i]=put(a[i], $type.); end; run;

I really don't understand what's the problem here. It is so weired...