Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Feb 2008 14:40:10 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Randall Powers <powers_r@BLS.GOV>
Subject:      Adding leading zeroes to a variable

Hi,

I have variable i, and wish to convert it into variable APP.

i APP 1 0001 2 0002 3 0003 4 0004 5 0005 6 0006 7 0007 8 0008 9 0009 10 0010 etc.

I don't suspect that i would get any higher than two digits. How would I do this?

Also, i is generated by this code:

Data ppi.test1b (drop=sfint); set ppi.test1a; do i = 1 to sfint; output; end; run;

Thus, I suspect i to be numeric (am I correct?)

When I have variable APP I plan to concatenate it to variable EST to give me variable ITE.

Thus:

ITE=EST||APP;

Is there a mismatch of variable type? (EST had observations which are number/letter combinations, so presumably are character strings) If so, how do I fix the mismatch?

Thanks!