Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Mar 2008 14:21:20 -0600
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         ViAnn Beadle <vab88011@gmail.com>
Subject:      Re: CASESTOVARS / LOOP-END LOOP(?)
Comments: To: Mark Palmberg <palmberg@gmail.com>

The simple question of amount and frequency is easily done with reporting procedures like SUMMARIZE. Just break on giver ID and ask for SUM and N of the Gift Amount. If you want a breakdown by year then break on ID and YEAR.

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Mark Palmberg Sent: Friday, March 14, 2008 9:55 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: CASESTOVARS / LOOP-END LOOP(?)

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 8:35 PM, Richard Ristow <wrristow@mindspring.com> wrote:

> You can do a lot > of over-time analysis with long-form data; in fact, it's generally > easier. That's even more likely in your case, as organizing the file like > > MRSEQ# GFT_Mean81 GFT_Count81 GFT_SUM81 GFT_Mean82 GFT_Count82 GFT_SUM82 > GFT_Mean83 GFT_Count83 GFT_SUM83 GFT_Mean84 GFT_Count84 GFT_SUM84 > > means you can't even define VECTORs for your means, counts and totals. >

Unless I reorder my variables to be consecutive within Mean, Count, and SUM, yes?

The long-form alternative, then, if I wanted to examine the annual differences in giving by individual (including, but not limited to, things like percentage dollar increase [or decrease] year-to-year and lifetime and/or mean #days between gifts [by year and lifetime]) would be something like the syntax you offered in a previous post (11/24/07):

NUMERIC #NewGuy (F2) /* Flag first record for an ID */.

DO IF MISSING(LAG(ID)) OR LAG(ID) NE ID. . COMPUTE #NewGuy = 1. ELSE. . COMPUTE #NewGuy = 0. END IF.

* Difference in days between successive gifts . * (Requires data be sorted by ID and gift date.) .

NUMERIC BtwnGift (F4). VAR LABEL BtwnGift 'Time, days, since previous gift'.

IF NOT #NewGuy BtwnGift = datediff(GFTDAT,LAG(GFTDAT),"days").

Which gives me a new variable (BtwnGift) that holds -- for each gift record AFTER the first one for each ID -- the number of days since the previous gift (the same syntax could be used for my GFTAMT variable). This still leaves me with the a single variable in long form (i.e., by gift, not ID) that I would otherwise analyze in wide form (i.e., by ID) with VECTOR and LOOP-END LOOP.

So, then, my enduring question is: What is the key syntax I need to review to be able to -- from a long-form data file -- end up with a way to measure a donor's giving performance (measured by amount and frequency)? I'm looking at the "VECTOR outside a Loop Structure" example in the CSR (pg. 1891 -- v. 15), but it appears to only get me back to a wide format file anyway.

I feel like I'm staring a solution in the face...or at least looking in its general direction. Thank you for your patient and gentle guidance.

Mark