Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Mar 2008 11:45:59 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Gerhard Hellriegel <gerhard.hellriegel@T-ONLINE.DE>
Subject:      Re: Rant: I really hate the SAS pricing structure

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 09:31:13 -0500, data _null_, <datanull@GMAIL.COM> wrote:

>On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 2:53 AM, John Hendrickx ><John2.Hendrickx@gmail.com> wrote: >> pharmaceutical industry. The way SAS stores user formats - an >> important part of your data - in a separate file is one argument to >> use anything but SAS for critical analyses. > >What are you talking about? A format is only "part of your data" if >you say so. Do you understand formats?

in addition: if there is important information which HAS to be part of the data, why using a format for that? It is a very easy deal to convert the unformatted data with a function call. In other tools you don't have another CHANCE, you have to store what you need in the data! So don't tell us that it's a ADVANTAGE to have less possibilities!

I currently work for a big bankhouse. If we had no formats, SAS would be dead here! Ok, for your small datasets it might be no probleme to store things like "this is a very important information for everyone", "this is not a too important information for anyone...", instead of 0, 1. We have datasets with more than 600 billions of obs with 40 or 50 variables of that kind. Try to handle that without formats! Gerhard