Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Mar 2008 16:20:49 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Richard Wright <richard.wright@DARS.STATE.TX.US>
Subject:      Re: SAS running on OSX

I just got the learning edition up and running under leopard (whatever the current version is). It's in a W2K VM under Parallels. The only problem I had was somehow I accidentally deleted the configuration file and had to reinstall things.

I'm running on a MacPro and I've more problems with it than anything else, but that was because of some peculiar circumstances. The only other problem I've had is getting folders under Windoze confused with those on the Mac.

I was pretty blown away by how fast windows and LE loaded. The LE has some data set limitations so I can't speak to how fast it runs under heavy loads, although at this point it seems faster than what I've got at work (then again I don't 2 4-core Xeons and 8G memory at work!). And I've restricted myself to the "old" DM version of SAS and not the Enterprise stuff, yet, although I brought it up and ran some stuff, so I know it works.

I've also got OS/2 and v8 SAS. I've got ecommerce station loaded and one of these days I'm going to load up the SAS under that and then see if I can the two versions to talk to each other (and the MacPro).

I've heard that one of the developers at SI (Austin) uses a setup similar to what I just described to test various platforms, so I think you're pretty safe going with the Parallels.

Hope this helps. Any questions give me a holler.