Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Mar 2008 10:58:34 +0800
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Yuntao_Dou (BJ)" <Yuntao_Dou@SMICS.COM>
Subject:      =?UTF-8?Q?=E7=AD=94=E5=A4=8D:?= competition from open source

Wensui, I can not agree with u any more. The situation is much more similar in computational biology field when I was graduate.

At that time, Glimmer is the best gene prediction software for bacterial genome invented by NIH. Then our group invented a software name "Zcurve" which is better then Glimmer.

As far as I know, Zcurve is the open source software. Anyway, SAS will face more and more competition as R grows so fast

-----原始邮件----- 发件人: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.VT.EDU]代表 Wensui Liu 发送时间: 2008年3月20日 9:51 收件人: SAS-L@LISTSERV.VT.EDU 主题: competition from open source

I noticed that in sugi survey this year, sas asked questions about open source software. it seems they start realizing the competition from open source software such as R or python. As I talked to a R&D guy in stat, he told me that he often uses result from R to compare with the one from SAS.

=============================== WenSui Liu ChoicePoint Precision Marketing Phone: 678-893-9457 Email : wensui.liu@choicepoint.com Blog : statcompute.spaces.live.com ===============================