Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 5)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Mar 2008 01:18:47 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Arthur Tabachneck <art297@NETSCAPE.NET>
Subject:      Re: What exactly is DATA Mining?
Comments: To: paulasims2004@HOTMAIL.COM

Paula,

You can find some introductory reading at: http://www.sas.com/whitepapers/index.html

However, at risk of getting hung for oversimplifying, it is a combination of predictive modelling, searching for patterns, and finding anomolies via regression, logistic regression, md scaling, neural nets, text mining, clustering and decision trees, combined with systematic approaches for accomplishing each method, easily pulling test and verification samples, and comparing each model's effectivness.

Combine the above with a visual-based tool that doesn't require a steep learning curve, yet lets one apply everything they already know how to do in SAS (i.e., if they are using SAS to accomplish the above).