Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Fri, 11 Apr 2008 15:50:45 -0500
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Mark Palmberg <palmberg@gmail.com>
Subject:   combine vars w/ same name in different files

I do a lot of merge files processes (via the wizard), but I'm stuck now (or blinded by my ignorance). I have a main file with two variables: ID and CAPACITY. The capacity variable was merged to my main file some months ago from an external vendor's file. **Not all records in my main file now contain a value for CAPACITY.**

I now have another, updated, file with variables "ID" and "CAPACITY." I can merge the files on key field ID, but then I'd have two CAPACITY variables in the main file (or CAPACITY and CAPACITY1), when what I really want to do is add the CAPACITY variable *values* from the new, updated, file to the records on the main file that do not yet have a value for this variable. The "Copy Data Properties" doesn't appear to be what I'm after, and I don't see anything under the CSR that might help. Perhaps I could use the RENAME subcommand under MATCH FILES and just create a new variable to hold merged data from the two identical CAPACITY variables in the input files?

Apologizing in advance for not providing enough clarification,

Mark