Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Apr 2008 09:47:04 -0700
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Dennis Deck <DDeck@rmccorp.com>
Subject:      Re: Merge More Than One File At A Time

Hans, your example should work fine. Let me just add that you want to make sure that: 1) each table is sorted on the key variable(s) 2) each /Table has only one record per case 3) make sure your key variable(s) in each file is defined the same (eg, if it is a string, make sure it is the same length in each file)

Syntax examples:

* join related tables to a master file . MATCH FILES File= * /Table= 'Table1.sav' /Table= 'Table2.sav' /By= ID /Map .

* if you have already read and named files using DATASET NAME . MATCH FILES File= * /Table= Table1 /Table= Table2 /By= ID .

* determine if all records were matched (Linked is 0 if no match, 1 if matched) . MATCH FILES File= Student /Table= School /IN= Linked /By= StudentID Year /Map .

FREQUENCES Vars= Linked .

Dennis Deck, PhD RMC Research Corporation 111 SW Columbia Street, Suite 1200 Portland, Oregon 97201-5843 voice: 503-223-8248 x715 voice: 800-788-1887 x715 fax: 503-223-8248 ddeck@rmccorp.com

-----Original Message----- From: Art Kendall [mailto:Art@DrKendall.org] Sent: Saturday, April 05, 2008 5:49 AM Subject: Re: Merge More Than One File At A Time

The documentation says that you can. I cannot test this because I am moving to a newer PC and need to figure out licenses.

However for version 16 <help> says (emphasis added) says

MATCH FILES FILE={'savfile'|'dataset'} *[TABLE={'savfile'|'dataset'}] * {* } {* }

[/RENAME=(old varnames=new varnames)...]

[/IN=varname]

/FILE=... *[TABLE= ...]*

[/BY varlist]

[/MAP]

[/KEEP={ALL** }] [/DROP=varlist] {varlist}

[/FIRST=varname] [/LAST=varname]

the version 9 manual says: (emphasis added) A separate TABLE command must be used to specify *each *lookup file . . ..

Art Kendall Social Research Consultants

Hans Chen wrote: > Dear Listers > > I have a main file which has 100 variables, and also I have 5 files. I