Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Sat, 26 Apr 2008 09:51:49 -0600
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   ViAnn Beadle <vab88011@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: appending cases/merging
Comments:   To: Albert-jan Roskam <fomcl@yahoo.com>

For numeric variables, formats don't have to match. All numbers are stored as floating-point binary and formats are only used for display purposes. When numeric formats conflict, the format used for variables in the first file is used.

For string variables, formats do have to match in type and width (to the annoyance of some users).

And variables do have to match in type (numeric or string). -----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Albert-jan Roskam Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2008 5:10 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: appending cases/merging

Hi Deepa,

I think the two files need to be 'union compatible' (in sql speak), meaning that the width and decimals should be equal (also variable type) between 'variable pairs'. But it doesn't matter if the print or display FORMAT differs between files. Use DISPLAY DICTIONARY to compare the characteristics of the two files.

Cheers!! Albert-Jan

____________________________________________________________________________ ________ Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ