Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Apr 2008 12:54:37 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Howard Alper <halper@HEALTH.NYC.GOV>
Subject:      Getting odds ratios

Hi,

I'm doing a logistic regression where some of the independent variables are yes/no-1/0 indicator variables (numerical), but other independent variables are left as categorical (age, race, etc.)

I'm interested in the odds ratios and confidence intervals. For the indicator variables, the odds ratio is the exponential of the regression coefficient, which is as it should be. But for the categorical variables, the odds ratio is NOT equal to the exponential of the regression coefficient. Can anyone explain this?

Also, if I include interaction terms among the categorical variables, such as age|sex, then NO information about the odds ratios for the categorical variables appears at all (either the main terms or the interaction.) How can I obtain this information (again, I wonder if exponentiating the regression coefficients will give me the right answer.)

Thanks in advance,

Howard Alper