Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 5)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:33:35 -0400
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Mike Rhoads <RHOADSM1@WESTAT.COM>
Subject:   Re: How do I delete a block of text in the enhanced editor?

Well, to (sort of) answer my own question: the Delete key works fine (based on a couple private responses) -- just not for me. :-(

I have tried restarting SAS and fiddling with several of the EE options with no luck. Oddly enough, it does work correctly with the old Program Editor window. I didn't find any applicable problem notes.

If anyone else has had a similar problem, I'd love to hear from you. This is obviously not a major roadblock, of course -- will probably try a couple other Westat machines to see the extent of the problem.

Mike

-----Original Message----- From: owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu [mailto:owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu] On Behalf Of Mike Rhoads Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 9:03 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: How do I delete a block of text in the enhanced editor?

Forgive me -- I'm probably having a senior moment here.

Lots of times it's convenient to be able to get rid of a block of text -- for instance, when pasting in code from a SAS log, and you want to get rid of the line numbers on the left.

I was clever enough to remember that I could SELECT a vertical "block" (e.g. the first 6 columns of each line) by holding down the Alt key while dragging over the text.

But then what? I've tried the Delete and Backspace keys, plus Cut and Clear from the Edit menu, with Insert mode turned off and turned on. Try as I might, everything gets rid of almost all of the text in the window, not just the columns on the left that I selected and wanted to kill.

Hopefully I'm missing something obvious -- what's the point of letting me select a block of text if I can't then do something with it?

Mike Rhoads Westat RhoadsM1@Westat.com