Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 May 2008 10:44:59 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Art Kendall <Art@DrKendall.org>
Subject:      Re: sel if not working
Comments: To: Frank Thomas <news.ftr@free.fr>

That is *very surprising*. I don't have an answer as to why this is happening.

To help in debugging your situation 1) check the length of the string in the variable. 2) open a new instance of SPSS. Cut, paste, and run the syntax below the sig block. See why the checks are different. 3) try to create a small set of syntax similar to that below which does not create a check flag that you would expect.

Art Kendall Social Research Consultants

data list list/ country (a4). begin data FR FR. "FR. " " FR." fr. "fr." fr ab AB CD. cD. END DATA. COMPUTE CHECK1 = COUNTRY EQ "FR.". COMPUTE CHECK2 = upcase(COUNTRY) EQ "FR.". COMPUTE CHECK3 = INDEX(COUNTRY,"FR."). COMPUTE CHECK4 = INDEX(COUNTRY,"FR"). COMPUTE CHECK5 = INDEX(COUNTRY,"fr."). LIST.

Frank Thomas wrote: > I try to select a country within a large multi-country file, the > European Social Survey. The SELECT IF command doesn't work, to my > surprise. the new outfile when reopened still shows the complete data > set. > > Does Select of not work with alphanumeric variables ? > > Here is my syntax : > > GET FILE='xx.sav'. > sel if cntry = "FR". > freq cntry. > save outFILE='xxFR.sav'. > > > -- > .......................................... > Dr. Frank Thomas > FTR Internet Research > 93110 Rosny-sous-Bois > France > > ===================== > To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to > LISTSERV@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the > command. To leave the list, send the command > SIGNOFF SPSSX-L > For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command > INFO REFCARD > >