Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Tue, 13 May 2008 14:40:43 -0400
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Comments:   RFC822 error: <W> MESSAGE-ID field duplicated. Last occurrence was retained.
From:   Richard Ristow <wrristow@mindspring.com>
Subject:   Re: missing values in do if
Comments:   To: Keval Khichadia <kkhichadia@yahoo.com>
Comments:   cc: Melissa Ives <mives@chestnut.org>, Art@DrKendall.org

I wrote too quickly. What I wrote was right, but not enough. At 01:19 PM5/12/2008, Keval Khichadia wrote:

>[In the following syntax] I get the correct value (1) for LowIncome >but there are several cases when there are values for num_in_family >and Fisap_Income where the value should be 0 but I am getting $sysmis

The code I sent, ... else if SYSMIS(num_in_family) | SYSMIS(Fisap_Income). compute LowIncome = $sysmis. else. compute LowIncome = 0. end if.

won't be reached if either variable is missing, because the first test,

>do if num_in_family = 1 & Fisap_Income <= 19600.

will return 'missing' in that case, and the rest of the DO IF will be skipped.

You need something like this, checking for missing values at the *beginning* of the DO IF:

MISSING VALUES LowIncome(9). DO IF SYSMIS(num_in_family) | SYSMIS(Fisap_Income). . compute LowIncome = 9. else if num_in_family = 2 & Fisap_Income <= 26400. . compute LowIncome = 1. ... else. . compute LowIncome = 0. end if.

Note that 9 is defined as a user-missing value for "LowIncome", and that, not SYSMIS, is the value it's given if you have missing data. Art Kendall's right about this one.