Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Fri, 16 May 2008 12:57:53 -0400
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Michael Raithel <michaelraithel@WESTAT.COM>
Subject:   Re: SQL confusion

Dear SAS-L-ers,

Mark Smolkin posted the following:

> Hi..I am fairly new to SQL and am confused by a sentence in > the SAS 9.1 SQL Procedure User's Guide. The text below is > from pg. 41 and I don't quite understand the second criteria > mentioning the "where" clause. To examine it, I created fake > data and I saw that I could use a summary function like > "sum(cost)" as the lone item in the select clause, use a > where clause that subsetted on an a separate variable, and > still receive the correct overall sum without an error > message. I am sure I am simply misinterpreting the sentence > and so I was hoping somebody could set me > straight....Appreciate the help!... > Mark, I see that you already got some help from fellow SAS-L-ers. If you want to move from the world of free documentation into the world of paid-for documentation then I have a good PROC SQL tip for you. Check out PROC SQL; Beyond the Basics Using SAS, by Kirk Lafler: http://www.sas.com/apps/pubscat/bookdetails.jsp?catid=1&pc=58316.

This seminal book is the best SAS SQL book out there and should be on any serious SAS programmer's desk or bookshelf! I own a copy of it and occasionally turn to it when I am forced to use PROC SQL.

Mark, best of luck in all of your SAS endeavors!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Michael A. Raithel "The man who wrote the book on performance" E-mail: MichaelRaithel@westat.com