Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 May 2008 13:09:16 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Laptop765@GMAIL.COM
Subject:      Nested Data Accesses?
Comments: To: sas-l@uga.edu

Hello. I'm relatively new to SAS but have a pretty good understanding of it. I am having difficulty with something... I have: data temp; set olddata; %getnum(param) var1=&val1; var2=&val2; run;

getnum is a macro whose contents are a proc sql to grab the values that I need to use to update temp. SAS claims that var1 and var2 are invalid statements or out of place (error 180-322). After much debugging I discovered that if I remove the call to getnum, it works fine (although I do not have my val1 and val2). This seems to indicate that a proc sql nested inside a data step is not allowed...

Essentially what I need to do is update some data with values calculated based on existing data in a different set. Is this even possible? If so, does anybody have any suggestions on how to go about doing it?