Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 May 2008 09:00:35 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Mary <mlhoward@AVALON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Merging on either the ID or AltID
Comments: To: Citam <citam.sasl@GMAIL.COM>

No, it is not pedigree data; the reason for an ID and an Alternative ID is that sometimes we get blood donations (and thus DNA) from the same patient twice- usually when they are alive and then at the time of their death (if they donate their eyes to research, we also get a vial of blood). The problem is that these vials are stored in deep freezers and can't be renumbered once we realize that we have the same patient in there twice, thus there needs to be a way to identify that two different ID's identify the same patient and DNA results coming back from another lab based on one of the vials we sent them could have either one of the numbers on it; but when I run statistical analysis I need to make sure I'm eliminating any duplicates caused by two different ID numbers that actually are the same patient.

But no, these are individual patients that are not offspring data for the parent. I work in age-related macular degeneration research, which is a disease most people don't get until they are in their late 70's, so their parents are usually long deceased, and we have no way of getting DNA from them, thus once I eliminate duplicates from the same patient, my subjects are independent and I can run standard statistical procedures on them.

-Mary ----- Original Message ----- From: Citam To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Sent: Friday, May 23, 2008 8:23 AM Subject: Re: Merging on either the ID or AltID

I see you have a solution, so I will just ask about the structure of your data. Is this pedigree data? It appears as if you might be using offspring data for the parent. Several packages can do the "imputation", if this is the case. Off the top of my head, I would start with Merlin or SimWalk, or maybe GeneCounting for haplotypes. Otherwise, I might avoid such suggestive IDs.