Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Jun 2008 19:02:36 -0400
Sender:       Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Walt Chambers <Walter.Frank.Chambers@STUDENT.MERCER.EDU>
Subject:      West Georgia notes - 6/29

I finally got out to bird for the first time since mid May yesterday. Unfortunately we're in the traditional birding lull-time of late June and I didn't expect too much.

I started at the Bradley Unit. As it was in the spring, the water levels in the inlets south of the unit were high. The only thing noted was a single PURPLE GALLINULE. I'm sure there were more as well as Least Bitterns, but I didn't observe any. The big pond by the pumphouse is basically choked up lilly pads and had very little. The ponds on the north side of the cross-dike (near the silos) are dry and full of vegetation right now. Waders weren't really numerous except for a large number of immature LITTLE BLUEs.

I then headed down to Walter F George Reservoir in Clay Co. I often has interesting birds, even in June. The main bird of note was a BROWN PELICAN seen from Sandy Creek Campground. This species has been there several times in the past, but this was the first time (that I've seen) that the bird was not a juvenile. It was also cool to watch it dive for food. The only other birds noted were 10-12 OSPREY. The water was high and covers most of the stumps, so I didn't get any early terns.

On the way back home, I checked Oxbow Meadows for a few minutes. Not much to report this time.

Signs of post-breeding lately included a BLACK-&-WHITE WARBLER in my yard on 6/20 and Julie reported an imm. YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON at Oxbow Meadows on 6/26 for only the second record of that species for the property.

Walt Chambers Columbus