Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Wed, 2 Jul 2008 12:02:09 -0400
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Art Kendall <Art@DrKendall.org>
Subject:   Re: Looping by index from variable contents

Are you looking for a TREE or for hierarchical clustering?

Art Kendall Social Research Consultants

Gene Maguin wrote: > All, > > Yesterday, Frank Millard posted what I thought was a simple question about > how to set up loops. > > I replied, 'Look at the Loop-end loop command in the documentation.' > > He replied. > I did b4 asking for help. The solution I was looking was not straight > forward in the docs. > > I want to control a loop based on the results of a two step cluster > analysis. > I want to find clusters within clusters. > So, if the analysis produces 4 clusters, saved in a new variable "var1" by > the analysis, I need to construct a loop control such that: > Loop var1 > Cases are selected for each cluster in var1; the two step cluster syntax is > modified to create new variable output for each cluster in var1; > Run the two step cluster > END > > My reply this morning. > > Frank, I think there are others on the list with more experience with > clustering and clusters. I've never done a cluster analysis. That said, the > idea of 'finding clusters within clusters' seems odd to me. That is, why > wouldn't you just extract more clusters. That said, I think that a macro > loop may be more relevant to your question because you are wanting to loop > through procedure commands rather than transformation commands. There are > macro examples, including a loop command, in one of the appendices of the > syntax ref manual. I've only set up a couple of simple macros. Other folks, > please jump in. > > Gene Maguin > > ===================== > To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to > LISTSERV@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the > command. To leave the list, send the command > SIGNOFF SPSSX-L > For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command > INFO REFCARD > > >