Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Jul 2008 18:19:36 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Peck, Jon" <peck@spss.com>
Subject:      Re: percentiles

It's true that there is no built-in way to do this short of writing a script, but if you have SPSS 16, you can use the extension command HIDECOLS to hide specified columns or rows in a pivot table. Here is an example using EXAMINE.

EXAMINE VARIABLES=accel engine horse /PERCENTILES(5,10,25,50,75,90,95) HAVERAGE. HIDECOLS SUBTYPE='Percentiles' LEVEL = -3 COLUMNS="Tukey's Hinges" DIMENSION=ROWS.

Examine produces a number of tables, one of which has the OMS subtype of "Percentiles". HIDECOLS takes that table and hides the rows that are labeled "Tukey's Hinges". By default, HIDECOLS works on the innermost level of the labels. In this case, the LEVEL parameter is specified to have it look at labels farther out in the table.

Full details of the syntax can be obtained by running HIDECOLS /HELP. after installing the extension.

To make this work you need, besides 16.0.2, the Python plugin and the latest version of the Hidecols extension package downloadable from SPSS Developer Central (www.spss.com/devcentral). Other dependencies and installation instructions are covered in the readme file in the download.

HTH, Jon Peck

Note: the first version of HIDECOLS only handled hiding columns and only searched the innermost labels.

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Marta GarcĂ­a-Granero Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 12:32 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: [SPSSX-L] percentiles

Hi Sandra > I need 25th and 75th percentile of a variable in a database, but only using > the weighted average definition 1. > I wrote this code: > > SORT CASES BY BCI_DIN CMB_TERR_ID. > SPLIT FILE BY BCI_DIN CMB_TERR_ID. > EXAMINE VARIABLES=DOLLARS__RHEUM BY MONTH > /PLOT NONE > /PERCENTILES(25,75) HAVERAGE > /STATISTICS NONE > /MISSING LISTWISE > /NOTOTAL. > > but still I am getting the results by Weighted Average(Definition 1) and > Tukey's Hinges. > > I am beginner in SPSS and I can't figure out how to get the results without > Tukey's Hinges. > Short answer: it can't be done. Edit manually the table and eliminate them.

Best regards, Marta

-- For miscellaneous statistical stuff, visit: http://gjyp.nl/marta/